How to get involved in Keep Australia Beautiful Week
Keep Australia Beautiful Week is held late August each year, to raise awareness about the simple things we can all do in our daily lives to reduce our impact on the environment and encourage action.
This year Keep Australia Beautiful Week will take place from Monday, 20 August to Sunday, 26 August, and will focus on marine litter.
With around 4.6 million hectares of amazing marine parks and reserves, we need your help to keep Western Australian water litter free.
You can help keep our water litter-free by participating in any of the week’s activities:
- Organise a clean-up for your neighbourhood or quick tidy up in your street. You can register your clean up and get free clean-up bags.
- Take the pledge to pick up one piece of rubbish at every park you visit during KAB week.
- Less waste = less litter in our parks. Reduce your impact using our suggestions for your next park visit.
- Enter the Keep our Waterways Beautiful competition. You’ll need to explain in 25 words or less why it’s important to you to keep our water clean.
Find out more ways to get involved at www.kab.org.au.
Why we need to protect our water?
- Approximately 10 million tonnes of litter end up in the world’s oceans and seas each year.
- It is estimated that 70% of marine litter is on the seabed, 15% is floating in the water column and 15% is what we find on our shores.
- Marine litter consists of a wide range of materials, including plastic, metal, wood, rubber, glass and paper. However, it is dominated by plastic which accounts for 80% of the items found on our beaches.